Full-Time Writer job
£35,000 – £40,000 a year
Full Job Description
FirstGroup plc is a leading provider of transport services in the UK. During the last year more than 1.4 million passengers a day relied on us to get to work, to school or college, to visit family and friends and much more. Each day every one of our over 30,000 employees works hard to deliver vitally important services for our customers. We are one of the UK’s most experienced rail operators, carrying around 550,000 passengers a day across our four Department for Transport contracted operations and two open access routes.
We are recruiting a Writer/Editor to join the First Rail Holdings Consultancy team. The writing team leads the production of reports and documents in a range of different contexts: from franchise bidding to annual business plans and advice to the Government on the future shape of high speed services on HS2 infrastructure.
You will work with our existing operating companies and partners such as the Department for Transport and HS2 Ltd, understanding their objectives, priorities and opportunities to enable you to curate a document from start to finish, both in terms of physical presentation and the sourcing and shaping of the information itself. This is an ideal time to join the First Rail Consultancy team, to gain exposure to a range of developmental challenges and play an instrumental role in ensuring the future success of the business. We offer a competitive salary plus bonuses.
Drafting impactful and accessible reports
- Managing the report writing process through the stages from initial concept to submitted version
- Sourcing material through a range of methods including receiving draft copy from subject matter experts, revising existing reports, literature reviews and writing up interviews and workshops
- Developing written and graphical material – ensuring it is in accessible and plain English
- Filling emerging gaps to create seamless and meaningful copy
- Making the subject matter interesting and engaging, even if it is technical and complex
- Sourcing and managing the graphics, including the presentation of data
Liaising with our Train Operating Companies
- Engaging with operating company teams to understand their objectives, priorities, opportunities and constraints
- Participating in reviews and actioning any writing outcomes
Skills and Experience
Key skills include:
- Excellent knowledge of grammar and applying house styles
- Capacity to draft quickly and from scratch with the ability to synthesise significant amounts of information
- Expert listener with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of rail and/or specialist subject area and the confidence to represent the document
- Capability to structure documents and lead storyboarding processes
- Ability to collaborate and facilitate closely with colleagues and to cope with multiple subject matters at once
- Knowledge of working within a controlled project or programme environment
- High degree of competence in MS Office tools such as MS Word and MS Outlook, for example skills in building document templates and being able to act as the first point of contact for technical issues with the above tools
We require the following relevant experience:
- Copywriting in business and/or technical environments
- Producing large documents as part of a large team
- Taking information from technical specialists and presenting it in accessible plain English
- Developing strategies and plans for operational teams to deliver
- Working to demanding and sometimes changing project milestones
- Consulting or rail bid experience is desirable but by no means essential
Applications are welcomed from candidates who also wish to work flexibly or part time. Work will involve some travel. Candidates who may not be able to travel for good reason should still apply.
For more information, please contact Amy Ekins-Coward at [email protected]
Please submit an application letter, your CV and a 500-word statement on why you believe you’re the perfect fit for this role.
What can we offer you?
- Pension Scheme
- 25 days Holiday plus National Bank Holidays
- Travel Offers for Bus and Rail*
- Payroll Giving – donate directly from your pay to a Charity of your Choice
- Shopping Discounts including discounts and cashback on electrical goods, your weekly shop, holidays, cinema trips, car insurance, upgrading your mobile and lots more
- All employee Share Schemes*
- Buy as You Earn – Buy as you earn share scheme*
- Employee Assistance Helpline – free, confidential employee support service provided by an independent provider
- After 6 months employment
FirstGroup plc welcomes applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of background, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. We aspire to be a diverse and inclusive organisation because we believe that diversity brings benefits for our customers, communities and our people. Valuing our differences and drawing on our collective knowledge and experience helps us develop new services, open up new markets and broaden our customer base.
Technical Writer job
£175 – £200 a week
Fixed term contract
Full Job Description
12 month contract – Up to £180 PD Inside IR35 – Fully Remote
I am currently looking for a Technical Writer to join a global computer software company on a 12 month contract. As the Technical Writer you will need the following:
- Experience writing and editing developer documentation
- Ability to lead documentation projects
- Experience or familiarity with authoring systems such as oXygen and XMetaL
If this role is of any interest, please apply!
Morgan McKinley is acting as an Employment Agency and references to pay rates are indicative.
BY APPLYING FOR THIS ROLE YOU ARE AGREEING TO OUR TERMS OF SERVICE WHICH TOGETHER WITH OUR PRIVACY STATEMENT GOVERN YOUR USE OF MORGAN MCKINLEY SERVICES.
Technical Author/ Report Writer job
Expleo is a trusted partner for end-to-end, integrated engineering, quality services and management consulting for digital transformation. We help businesses harness unrelenting technological change to successfully deliver innovations that will help them gain a competitive advantage and improve the everyday lives of people around the globe.
The responsibilities of the role will include:
- To work across a number of Environmental Engineering Programmes to deliver High Quality Technical Reports
- To report to one of the project team leaders on a weekly basis as to progress and expected completion dates against each report
- To flag issues which require resolution, either through technical discussion with the test or project teams.
- To own the report delivery and engage with the internal customer and other stakeholders within the Environmental Engineering Department
- Respond to customer queries arising from documentation reviews and incorporate changes / modifications where appropriate.
- To maintain and raise the quality reporting standards.
- Peer review documentation from other engineers within the function
What we are looking for :
- Proven experience in Defence / Aerospace Technical Documentation, covering QTPs, QTRs, Technical Reports etc.
- Proven and strong word processing skills in Microsoft word and be competent in the use on Adobe/ Excel etc. with demonstrable evidence
- A delivery focused mindframe and ability to be proactive to find answers to their questions and independently drive progression of documentation
- A high level of attention to detail and quality of output.
What we need from you:
- Drive and self-motivation, using your initiative and proactive nature
- Make the most appropriate technical decision sometimes based on little information
- Effective working in teams, using strong interpersonal skills
- Identify and deliver through the right technical solution
- Experience with Vibration, Shock and Temperature Testing Reporting Standards
- Experience and knowledge of the requirements of DEF-STAN 00-35
- Translation of written test logs into formal reports
- Use of Seimens SimCentre Test Lab or Equivalent Vibration & Shock Software (eg. Data Physics / M&P / Crystal) for generation of figures.
- Collaborative working environment – we stand shoulder to shoulder with our clients and our peers through good times and challenges
- We empower all passionate technology loving professionals by allowing them to expand their skills and take part in inspiring projects
- Always working as one team, our people are not afraid to think big and challenge the status quo
“We are an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age”.