Find out what the most popular shop work jobs will be in the year 2022 so that you can stay ahead of the curve and get the job you want.
Shop Work Jobs
The British Red Cross is looking for a dynamic assistant shop manager to join our friendly charity shop team in Owestry. This is a fantastic opportunity to further develop your retail skills whilst contributing to our cause of helping people in the local community, across the UK, and abroad.
Retailing with a difference
Helping people in crisis begins at your local charity shop.
Full of pre-loved clothing, accessories, gifts, and more, our 300 shops across the UK are home to over 6,500 volunteers and 700 paid staff. We’re one big team that loves meeting people from all walks of life.
In this hands-on role, you will support the shop manager to run a profitable, customer-focussed shop that is the ‘window of the British Red Cross’ on the high street. From working on the shop floor, to coordinating activity “behind the scenes”, no two days are the same.
Alongside the shop manager, you will help to create a brilliant shopping environment and provide an excellent customer experience in store. You will support the manager to oversee a team of dedicated volunteers, supporting their induction, management, and development. Together, you’ll all represent the British Red Cross to a high standard and embody our core values.
“I’m not delivering to a profit target to enhance someone’s personal wealth – I’m making a real, visible contribution to supporting the work of my chosen charity” – Joanne, Regional Retail Manager
This role could be for you if:
- You’re a retail superstar with the experience and know-how from working in a shop environment
- You’re a people-person who enjoys providing an excellent customer experience, supporting a team, and meeting people from all walks of life
- You’re commercially savvy who has a good understanding of financial targets and measures
- You have excellent IT skills
We offer a wide range of staff benefits, including:
36 days holiday (inclusive of bank holidays) per annum – pro rata for part time staff
Option to buy an extra 5 days annual leave
Up to 6% contributory pension
Flexible working policy
Discounts from a range of online and high street retailers
A little bit more about us…
The British Red Cross help anyone, anywhere in the UK; get the support they need if crisis strikes. From hiring a wheelchair or dealing with loneliness, to adjusting to life in a new country – we’re there when you need us.
Our organisation was born out of a desire to bring help without discrimination. Impartiality and neutrality have been central values for the Red Cross since we started.
At the British Red Cross, we are looking for the best people to help us provide support to millions of people affected by crisis in the UK. We want our team to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve, offering equal opportunities to everyone, regardless of; age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, or sexual orientation.
Diversity is something we celebrate and we want you to be able to bring your authentic-self to the Red Cross. We want you to feel that you are in an inclusive environment, and a great position to help us spread the power of kindness.
In the British Red Cross we will not tolerate any form of misconduct, including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse. We have a code of conduct in place, and are committed to creating a culture of integrity in the organisation where misconduct is not tolerated, situations of abuse are quickly investigated and perpetrators are dealt with effectively.
If you are appointed to a role within BRC you will be subject to the organisation’s Code of Conduct, a copy of which you can find on our website.
As part of its recruitment and selection process the British Red Cross undertakes DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) checking of all individuals who regularly work with or have access to children and vulnerable adults.
If driving is an essential requirement of the role, appropriate driver checks will be completed in line with current policy.
The British Red Cross, incorporated by Royal Charter 1908, is a charity registered in England and Wales (220949) and Scotland (SC037738).
Follow us on Twitter @RedCrossJobsUK and on LinkedIn – British Red Cross, to hear about our latest job vacancies
Connecting human kindness with human crisis
Part-Time Sales Assistants
IKEA… it is so much more than a job!
IKEA Wembley are looking to welcome Sales Assistants to join our amazing Markethall and Showroom teams. Do you have what it takes to light up someone’s day, keep our plants alive and plump our cushions, then this is the role for you. This is a physical role with lots of walking and some safe lifting.
Are you curious about life at home and co-creating the wonderful everyday with our customers? Then we have the job for you. We are looking for someone who is confident in approaching customers and treats them in a polite and friendly manner.
In the IKEA world, we call this position a Sales Co-worker.
WHAT WE OFFER
- £11.30 basic hourly rate
- Living Wage Foundation Employer
We have various contracts in both Markethall and Showroom and these will be discussed at interview
We operate 7 days a week to meet the shopping needs of our customers, this role will require availability to work during the day, late evenings, and full weekends.
WORKING WITH US HAS ITS REWARDS
Our co-workers bring unique ideas and talent to work every day and we offer a variety of benefits that suit their and their family’s everyday needs.
- 15% co-worker discount & I-Benefits discount portal helping you save £100’s on Highstreet retailers
- Free & Confidential Employee Assistance Program and Wellbeing Portal
- X3 Life Assurance, enhanced statutory pension contributions & interest free loans
- Holiday on Christmas Eve & Christmas Day
- Family Friendly policies & benefits
- Commitment to your development throughout your IKEA career, starting on your first day
- Free parking and you can also enjoy a free hot or cold meal option every shift!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO HAVE
We are the ones meeting our customers – in our stores, online and beyond. Together with thousands of colleagues around the world we’re a diverse team working for the continued global success of the IKEA Concept.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for people, an eagerness to learn and will embrace change with a solution-orientated approach to the many challenges and tasks that present themselves. You will have the ambition to grow within IKEA and to help develop others too. In IKEA we place great emphasis on leading others and ourselves with a positive approach, even during the busiest and most challenging times.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING DAY TO DAY
- You provide an exceptional shopping experience for our customers
- You actively approach customers to identify their needs and advise them on the best solutions for their life at home through home furnishings
- You are always passionate about the range and home furnishings, curious to learn the stories behind the products and their design
- You support maximising sales by being proud of your areas of responsibility, ensuring the customer meets an area that is clean, well presented and easy to shop
SHOW ROOM CO-WORKER
- You are competent with IT to use planning tools, Microsoft office, using the internet and relevant programmes to support selling to the customer.
MARKET HALL CO-WORKER
- You will have a combination of administrative work, meeting the customer and preparing for next days delivery. This is a physically demanding role which involves manual handling as well as assisting our customers.
WE CARE FOR THE PEOPLE
It takes the diversity of thought, background, and culture to make great ideas a reality. We welcome candidates from all walks of life to join us, where we feel valued for our uniqueness and recognised for our diverse talents.
RECRUITMENT PROCESS INFORMATION:
If you have any special requirements during the interview process, please let us know as soon as possible.
First step, please attach an updated CV with your application so we can get to know you better.
Second step, successful candidates will receive information about the next steps via email. You might be invited to complete a short video interview with pre-recorded questions, it only takes 2 minutes & can be done anytime & anywhere on a phone, laptop, or tablet. So just find a quiet spot and tell us why you would love to work for IKEA!
Third step, if successful you will be invited to an interview with one of our hiring managers.
Come see things a little differently with us and be part of creating a better everyday life for the many.
IKEA reserves the right to close a job vacancy earlier than originally advertised.
For any advice or support, email me @ [email protected] and I’ll be happy to help.
We are the ones meeting our customers – in our stores, online, in our catalogue and beyond. We have knowledge of the IKEA product range, local markets and customer needs and we constantly find new ways of making real connections with our customers to maximize sales and profitability. Together with thousands of colleagues around the world we’re a diverse team working for the continued global success of the IKEA Concept – a concept that helps millions of customers create a better everyday life!
Customer Assistant Job In London
- To deliver a great shopping experience for their customers, putting customers before task every time
- Champion new ways of working within stores through an open mindset and positive attitude
- Complete tasks and processes that deliver ‘best in town’ standards
- Serve and sell across all channels brilliantly well
- Be the voice of our customer to help us continually improve
- Serve our customers efficiently and brilliantly well – on the shop floor and at service points
- Deliver ‘best in town’ standards through presentation standards, availability and keeping the store clean and tidy
- Skilled to utilise all digital tools and communication channels to do the job
- Share customer and colleague feedback to help us do things better
- Share knowledge and experience with colleagues to support others in building skill and confidence
- Own their own learning & development and proactively access digital learning solutions
- Know the daily sales targets, priorities, promotions & selling opportunities
- Have great product knowledge to sell and recommend our products and services
- Proactively engage with customers to understand their needs and make recommendations
- Understand the store priorities and their part to play
- Complete tasks with pace and in line with SOPs
- Minimise cost and waste through good process practice
- Follow safe and legal working practices
- Understands how M&S operates,it’sstrategy, future and the role they play
- Committed to delivering excellent work fast with great attention to detail
- Open to and acts on feedback, asking for this regularly
- Sets performance objectives for self in conjunction with line manager and in line with business plans
- Takes accountability for planning and managing own work efficiently to ensure objectives are met
- Is curious and asks questions to challenge the status quo – ask why the company does things the way it does things
- Effective at communicating their intentions to others; ensures communication is clear and simple
- In control of their own reactions and considers how to share their perspective to create better reaction for team
- Copes well with change and work challenges and recovers quickly from its impact
- Builds positive relationships by being a good listener and getting to know people by establishing a connection
Technical Skills/ Experience
- Contributing to store sales and cost control
- Work across the store to get things done right first time within timescales
- Comprehensive knowledge of customer shopping channels
- Good level of product knowledge and services across the store
- Up to date knowledge of the commercial operation and brilliant basics
- Good level of digital capability and use of digital tools and applications
- Understand customer needs and spot selling opportunities
- Adapting to change
- Good Knowledge of VM principles